Wednesday 24 February 2021

Ship Diorama Build Blog : HMS Rodney : Pt4

Tonight I've spent a fruitful two hours completing some details, clean up and fitting then I've actually taken a brush to the model...

The first piece was adding some wire cut and bent, then super glued into position, to represent the two wing bars, I'm not even sure what these things are, they're serviced from the gun deck by ladders, which are molded into the plastic.  In real life they were suspended by a double back rope pulley, but I can't possibly model that, so I'm just giving the intimation of them.



They were held in place with a piece of masking tape, super glued and then cropped to length.  Bending was performed with a pair of pliers, but I could not for the life of me get them straight.


The next problem was fitting the roof on the bridge, and in the image above you can see the two proud forward prongs of plastic, these needed sanding down but the detail retaining.  Else the roof was sitting high out of place.


Much sanding and test fitting later and it looked about right.


Finally the rear of the bridge has a vertical slit gap that needed a touch of filler.

 And the same on the front.


And the roof was fitted.


Then, the whole thing had to dry a little before some 2000 grit sand paper was used to smooth the rear wall and take the seams off of the bridge module.


A glorious look at things on the base was then required...



And you can see the leading markers from the bridge top... and guess what came in the mail today...


Yes, I am going to add rigging.

Brush time... I can't resist painting, I paint with a brush, not an air brush, so I thinned some Revell Aqua Colour Ocker 361 (88) at about 70% paint to 30% Revell Acrylic thinner and put on a very fine layer on the decks.



The challenge here was to keep the details of the plastic, which does have a hint of deck planks.

Three coats on the forecastle and fore section of the gun deck (forward of the middle mount) and you can really see it coming together.



And I painted the aft section of the bridge and superstructure, which is clearly decked too.


You can clearly see the decking still on the super structure and how thin my paint layers are on the deck, here we see the near finished deck of the super structure (3 coats) and the main deck (1 coat).



See the other posts here:

No comments:

Post a Comment