Thursday 18 February 2021

Ship Diorama Build Blog : HMS Rodney : Pt2

This base build is very time consuming, mainly due to the requirement to allow layers to dry and set before proceeding onto the next layer.  As such when I move onto the two other models I'm going to make both ships at the same time, this is so that I'm using the same materials at multiple times across the pair.

As mentioned before the first colour layer was put down and covered, I have since repeated this, layering the tissue paper and 50:50 PVA to water mix and softening or adding wavelets as I've gone.



As this dried you can see the previous colour layer coming through quite strongly.  But before more colour could go on it needed now to dry completely.

So, I set about mounting the black plastic hull base from the model itself.

First a test fitting into the wave front for the bow...


 Then I spent time cleaning up the base to allow the line of the hull to sit into the sweeping water feel now built up...And once I was happy I drilled two holes in this base...


Through them I then pushed a cocktail stick...





Cutting it neatly and then adding a dot of superglue to fix them in place, these are now through the plastic and into the polystyrene, but they're not permanent, the base can be pulled off, it's only held by a little excess PVA and the sticks.


Adding the weight, stuck down with a liberal swish of superglue completes this preparation...


And a hull test fit confirms things are going to work out....


Next, with thinner I took aquamarine and blue/green acrylic paints and gave a nice but randomly shaded 


At this point the base has been left to dry for 24 hours.


I plan to pick out the wave crests with some white and add a little more detail to the wake, but the base colour, wave shape and layers of modelling are done.

We'll return to the base only for the edges needing colour and building our frame and badge.

On to some actual model painting!




See the other parts here:

No comments:

Post a Comment