Sunday 21 February 2021

Ship Diorama Build Blog : HMS Rodney : Pt3

Today I'm starting the broad strokes of the superstructures, now I don't want to attach these to the hull and I want to be careful even connecting parts together as I don't want to occlude any of the "wooden" deck areas... because, I'm awaiting the delivery of a wooden effect transfer to stick on and help make the model be that little more believable.

Unfortunately I've been waiting for this sticker for over a month, and I'm writing this two weeks a head of your even seeing this post, so yeah... a long time, from China.


What I can do however is look at the bridge, which comes as four pieces, two sitting inside the main outer to give us detail and the general watch platforms.

There's than a piece to add into the rear to close the rear and give a deck aft of the direction of travel...

Next I took to the funnel, this is two halves, and I immediately got a finger print into the wet cemented plastic here, a really annoying problem.  But I took a breath and continued adding the four vertical tunes the halo and two search light platforms.
I avoided adding the searchlights themselves, intending to pain the platforms and then add the lights after.

I now started to put the larger super structure pieces together, starting with the main platform and the fore then the bridge on top.  All slipped together and none occlude any wooden desk effect areas so I can glue these three composite pieces together into one whole.






I decided to keep the funnel separate at this point to make painting the detail between the aft bridge platform and the funnel itself a lot easier.

But it does push on and sit rather well....


Placing this whole thing onto the hull I got my first glimpse of the build and it's look on the base.


The shadows above help with this look, clearly under a stack flash they are very much still plastic and so I'm planning how to start painting this, and I'm thinking about playing about with painting the deck and possibly getting a second model if the plastic transfer sticker ever shows up.











See the other posts here:

No comments:

Post a Comment