Thursday 4 February 2021

The most insidious file on Windows....

The most insidious file on Windows....

Microsoft.DataWarehouse.Interfaces.resources.dll?

This particular file lives in my 

D:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Office.Desktop.Excel_16050.11029.20108.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Office16\ADDINS\PowerPivot Excel Add-in\sk

folder.... The key feature of that hideous path is that it's in my D drive... this is my second drive and you'd be right to ask why it has a windows installation on it?


Well, that's the drive that came with my laptop, and so it had the spyware, adware riddled carcas of a windows installation I never used, I just installed my own new NVMe drive and went with that.

This installation of windows has been taking up like 15GB or more of Space for over two years to it was time to nuke it.  The problem?  You can't just remove windows trusted installer files.

My way around this is to go into the properties, into advanced, set the owner user and god for that file to be me and remove the other windows junk user groups and such, and make sure everything is inherited down the line.... 

And I did this, removed windows, program files and windows and program data.... all except for this one file.

Which is totally insidious.

It won't disappear despite my being that very user/owner and even having used "runas" to launch explorer and cmd as myself for 100% certain.

The security settings can't be set....



It is literally moments like this where I hate that I can't fully control my operating system.

Sure, this is an edge case, who would really want to let windows delete something critical, but I've clearly worked around the issue, jumped through enough obscure hoops and set myself in the driving seat that the OS must know I'm up to something I know I'm doing... and I'm doing it with their UI, so not with some obscure script, so I'm clearly NOT a baddie.... sort of.

Yet, I can't delete a file, the file is actually zero length... it's just crud and evil.




No comments:

Post a Comment