Monday 29 March 2021

Perlin Noise Terrain Chat #0

No ship diorama update.?!?!??!!?  Yes, thank you for the six messages (a record for messages in just a few hours - I'm writing this one Monday night) there will be an update later this week.

So what have I been up to?... Well, I've been rewiring the conservatory, so I can work in it, and this space is to become a second office space for me, a different place to let my creative code juices flow.

The first thing I've been doing is playing about with my raw graphics engine and building terrains within the 3D space.

Now, I did a bunch of terrain generation for a Hex-bases wargame that never made it to market; many years ago, and I still have one of the early prototype screenshots here:

 

Its that underlying mesh I was looking at getting to, some cell by cell generated terrain that I could undulate and stitch together with seamless edges.

 But before all that my graphics project needs a generator, and I decided to build the height map for this mesh with perlin noise.


This is my perlin implementation, I'll go a head and play about with generating a mesh from this, luckily I only have to generate the y value for a given x and z axis distance, so I could parallelise this quite well across my many core machines.

More to follow I guess... 



No comments:

Post a Comment