Saturday 10 October 2020

Twelve Drives Exit - Only Ten Drives Survive

 I've spent the morning doing a bunch of hard work, like using a surface compactor to lay a 60 meter gravel track... I was knackered come lunch, so I decided to have a play in the server world.

Now, some of you may know we're between properties at the moment, this means I had to take all my servers offline and move them.

However, I've been desperate to get the 32 core machine back online.

Booting up just now though and a couple of the drives had gone bad, like physically bad.  As such my ZFS pool was just a total write off, so I've decided to restore from my offline back up.  There's not actually that much data on that cluster, it was only running raid 2.... And with two disks dying in a simple move, I thought it better to go for raid3.


But remember folks, RAID is not a back up.  My important server is a triple mirror Zfs pool.  I can lose any 2 of the three drives over there, and they're brand new nice WD SSD's... plus the server is ONLY turned on for backups.

This serer is my scratch working/coding project server, on which I host my build slaves and nodes in network tests etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment