Friday 12 June 2020

I hate ANSI... Keyboards

What, what... who the... there are different keyboard standards?... yes, there are and one is brilliant and one is not.

Now I am not talking about any regional reworking of keys such as QWERTY versus AZERTY layouts, what I'm talking about is the size and location of THE most important key on your keyboards.

The "Enter" or "Return" key.

Lets look at a picture:

You can see here, that there are movements on certain keys, but we're really interested in the position of and size of that RETURN, in the ANSI layout it's a single height key, sure they can be longer or shorter, but generally I find this THE most annoying thing to find on any desk.

The ISO (and as we can see in this image the Japanese Standard) has a large double height key and I really like that.

The swapping of the back slash key (to the left of Z in the ISO layout) also gets on my nerves, as a programmer I use that back slash a fair bit.

The larger right shift on the ISO similarly pleases me...


So there you go... I hATe ANsI KeyBoARds!  Loath them!



No comments:

Post a Comment