Monday 21 May 2012

New Car

We've been out today to finalise the last bits and pieces for buying a new car, we've wanted a larger car for a while, and it was just getting the right car for the job.  We've gone with an MPV and its going to become my main run around, and after 11 years my old, annoying but trusty, Peugeot 206 is going to become the second car in the family.

There's no big deal with this, I get to have a bigger car to jolly around in, and the wife (when she's driving again) will get to jolly around in my old 206.

But, we've been doing all the legals, and sorting everything... Insurance, Tax, DVLA V05, deposits, proof of identity final payments and the like...

I had to take 6 different forms of identification, I had to show bills, statements, passports, all sorts of stuff... I was sat there with the guy photocopying enough of my personal information to make one feel rather sick, when it struck me that... "I've just given this lot more ID for a car, than I did for my mortgage"... "I've just given this guy more ID, more proof, than I did to get married"... And it struck me has half bizarre and half retarded.

The number of people I know (and I can name two right now) who drive around drunk, without insurance or even without a license at all and there's me, a law abiding, insurance paying, tax providing citizen and I'm being grilled!  It all was very very annoying.

I'll fill you all in on whom I purchased the car from, and how it runs, in a later post... Suffice to say, I take delivery on Wednesday, and I'll let you all know.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new car! I’m pretty sure you and your family are enjoying your awesome ride by now. Well, it seems like all the paperwork and talks were worth it once the car was delivered on your doorstep. And it is also important to complete this process to ensure that you will have no problems in the future regarding your vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it’s amazing that your Peugeot 206 managed to last for 11 years! You certainly know how to care of your cars. And if that’s any indication, any car you purchase will be able to last just as long under you care. I also have to agree with Kerstin here. Dealing with the paperwork can be a massive headache sometimes, but doing that can definitely help you avoid any complications in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Erwin. By taking care of your vehicle, there is a high possibility that it won’t degrade easily and will not develop any serious problems. Also, always make sure that your car is as clean as it can be. A clean car will most likely have a longer service life.

    Patrick Gauer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just for reference, the 206 lasted until April 2016... So, she made it to 15 years!... Had to go in the end though, it was not economical to fix her.

    ReplyDelete