Friday 8 November 2019

Dull Directory Colour in Ubuntu Server

One of my problems with the latest version of Ubuntu server is the default colour for the ls command, I'd never engaged with this before, but it's a dark blue.  It's probably always been dark blue, if you perform ls with "--color=auto" you'll see it's probably dark blue, but the server always left it without the default colour... until now.

And I can't see the dark blue very well, I have reduced the amount of blue light on all my screens and dimmed things down for long hours in front of the screen, so dark blue really really doesn't work.

I have to change my folders, but I don't want to overload everything... Only the directory colour, if you take a look at the ~/.bashrc file then you will see ls colur defaults to auto:


But, I figured out that the colour will default and THEN another alias will over ride... So, I leave the auto alone and add a new alias at the bottom of the file:


This is setting the "di"rectory to colour 33, which is orange...

Reboot and this is what I now see...


The cyan colour for the files is coming from the auto, the highlight around tmp likewise.  But the orange is coming from my alias... Lovely, now I can read the server information even on this dim dim screen... eye candy!

If you want to follow more of this, check out this source.

No comments:

Post a Comment