Monday 11 December 2017

Crashed my Build Server....

When I say I crashed it, I mean... It just locked up and I had to soft reboot it... And when I say build server I mean one of the virtual machines on one of my Xen Hosts....

So, the machine is a fairly beefy 16 core machine with 48GB of RAM running on a Dell server under the desk, this disk base is a RAID-0 200GB unit over a bunch of 2.5" 10,000 RPM SAS Drives to a Perci5 RAID Controller....

The machine is only really spooled up for big builds, and this was one of them, I wanted to build LLVM support before bed.

The problem?  When I performed the build with "make -j all" it would get to 16% and then blank the screen, and totally lock up, nothing, nada, nowt... I left it for a while but nothing happened, and yes the LLVM build is time consuming but it doesn't lock at 16% for minutes.

Soft reboot, and the same happened again...


I've started the build again with "make -j 15" rather than all sixteen cores.  And it's already up into the 35% area of the build whilst I've been typing this....

But, what the heck locked the machine up before?  It wasn't actually using all the processors all of the time, surely?  Maybe?

I might have to set up one of the older 2950's and have a play about with this, leaving my one beefy machine alone.

Just on a side note, could you imagine the mess your system would be left in if you soft rebooted this kind of kit, mid-build, with no warning... LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment