Wednesday 13 August 2014

Google - Stop Annoying Me

I've just spotted something annoying with the Google search and the search direct from Chrome... You search from www.google.come and your results come up, and the bar is there at the top of the page to let you search again...


It has been like this for years, and I'm used to it, I'm used to seeing this search result format and the bar next to "GOOGLE" there with the blue search again button... And I'm positive that I used to get this exact page if I just performed a search from the browser bar as well...

That is, rather than going to google itself and putting the search term into the page, I put the search term as my web address in the browser and it automatically assumed I meant to search for that phrase and gave me the same results...

The point here being I could get to the results and also quickly see to search again...

But I notice today the page has subtly changed:


The result when you search directly from the browser bar is a different page, the same results are shown... But the page is different, and at first I could not see how to refine my search term, because my brain is wired from years of use that the address bar is now not going to be used... You use the provided search term bar inside the page... 

Just like you get from the first style of search...

So I was fumbling and groping for how to actually redefine my search term on this new result page.

It really highlighted to me the change had slipped in, that it is a stealth change, and god I hate google for annoying me with stealth changes, it really annoys me when they do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment