Thursday 10 May 2012

This guy won't haggle...


I just phoned Sky up, to alter my bill.  I pay £38 for the sky movies and packs... i used to be able to select different packs to alter my bill, but not any more...

But virgin offered me a decent package, with the TV channels I wanted... a the sky bloke points out there's like 100 channels in this Virgin pack... and there's 200 in the sky pack I'm paying for... I don't watch all those channels, so as far as I'm concerned, loose them.

The chap kept spinning me out on the phone, he was trying to be coy, and throwing numbers at me... "If we remove this pack it only saves you £2"... "That takes you down to £20"...

My bill is £38, how does going down to £20 mean only a £2 saving?... That's £18 saving...

"No, the pack I can reduce goes down from £22 to £20, saving you £2, you have other packs of channels on top taking your bill up".

It was all very cleverly worked, but bottom line was, I have an offer in hand from a service provider offering what I want, and what I currently have, at a lot lower price £10 less in fact.

Sky have matched the offer, sort of, I have £10 off, £120 saving for the year ahead.  Not a bad result.  But then the chap said to me:

"I'm always interested, if you go to Asda to do your shop?  Do you haggle at the end for the price of the shopping?"...

I said No... And I was off guard... And he got to have his smug little diatribe at me.

But then I realised, he was talking about "like for like" comparison... Asda is not a Service provider company, you pay for your services in arrears... Like Gas, you don't nip down the gas works and haul a tank back each month, you take it and you pay... The feed of TV from the sattelite you take what you want and you pay at the end of the month...

Haggling with Asda... No, I don't... But I can choose to price comparison, I can go in with my printed out offers and my coupons...

His attitude annoyed me, and I wished I was more on the ball to point out this discrepency in his argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment