Sunday 27 March 2011

Is it a Char, or a Car?

I've never been a huge fan of American English, it has annoyances, it imposed itself over the planet and it sometimes is plainly wrong... not that British (the Queens) English is better, but at least British English has a heritage it's not just changing for the sake of change...

And, one change for the sake of change, which I've come across this weekend, is pissing me off...  I'm a programmer, and one of the types of data one can operate with is character data... you can have strings of characters... characters are "char" in most programming languages... character... ch-ar-ac... char... char... like charcoal... like ch-ild... ch...

Yet this yank insists on calling them "CAR"... CAR STAR... for char*... ARGH.

I want to slap him.

No comments:

Post a Comment